Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The meme was irresistable

Thanks colaboy.

If you read this consider yourself tagged, unless of course you really don't want to play ;-)

Go to Wikipedia, and type in the month and day of your birth (no year). Then list 3 events, 2 birthdays and 1 death - I have added some commentry to my results since they seemed pertinent.

The Events
37 - Roman Emperor Caligula accepts the titles of the Principate, entitled to him by the Senate.
Caligula was one of the first, "educational" films I watched ;-)

1776 - Juan Bautista de Anza finds the site for the Presidio of San Francisco.
I could not resist the San Francisco link.

1994 - In South Africa, Zulus and African National Congress supporters battle in central Johannesburg, resulting in 18 deaths.
This particular event had a big impact on me. I was an eyewitness to this event. Seeing a man die being hacked to death with a panga (Farming implement with a large blade) less than ten metres from me has left some scars. The gun fire, the violence, and the terror of the people fleeing for their lives is etched deep within my mind. The event is recorded in our history as the "Shell House Massacre".

Needless to say I did not celebrate my birthday that year. Remarkably just less than two weeks later South Africa turned the corner in its political strife and had it's first truly democratic election. It has been my privlege to have lived through some of this country's most monumental moments. By a twist of fate I was employed by an international news agency at the time and got to experience a lot of the buzz at very close range.


The Births
1941 - Alf Clausen, orchestra conductor and composer.
He gave us theme tune for, "The Simpsons"

1973 - Eddie Fatu, Samoan professional wrestler
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Not quite the Tattoo daddy I think about ;-)
The Death
1943 - Sergei Rachmaninoff, Russian composer and pianist
In my dreams I can perform his third piano concerto.

Love
A not woeful woe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Rachmaninoff... this is such a great Meme...

Stephen said...

Thanks for sharing more of yourself with us. It is always a pleasure learning new things about friends.

Tony said...

I love the fact that your back and posting. We want more! I hope your journey continues to be smooth and one of new, happy wonders. I just wish our dear friend Bigg (My Confessions) was having better luck. Worry about him.